Update #5: Wherein Our Heroes Learn of a New Reward

Let’s start with a hearty “thanks” to the MANY fine companies and individuals writing in about composing, translating, porting, marketing, hiring, volunteering and more. We appreciate your action-oriented proactivity and enthusiasm. We’ll get back to you at the right time. Until then, please don’t think we’re rude if you don’t hear from us. There’s a lot to do around here.

For those of you just learning about Shadowrun (welcome BTW, glad you’re here!), we’ve posted an old World of Shadowrun Primer on our website. It provides an illustrated overview of the game setting, plus a handy glossary so you can start talking the talk. The primer is also a great way to share some Shadowrun love with your friends and let them know what all the fuss is about.

Speaking of sharing the love, we made a little something for you. Don’t get all misty on us—it’s a blatant marketing move. One of our artists made a few “Shadowrun Kickstarter Backer” images for you to post on your blog, use as your Facebook cover image, and share on the internets. (You can find more images here.)

Shadowrun Returns Backer Avatar

Shadowrun Returns Backer Banner

Speaking of our artists, we put an About Us section on our website so you could get to know the team a little better. We don’t want to be some faceless corp to you.

And now, on to the meat: We’ve been monitoring your communications for some time and have noted your desire for something . . . physical. Something you could hold in your hands and say, “I made this happen.” We hear you. Downloadable games are cool but there’s something awesome about opening a box containing a game you’ve been waiting for.

So let’s do it!

Today, we’re announcing a new reward level for our Kickstarter. At the brand new $125 level, you’ll get a Shadowrun Returns Deluxe Box Edition including the game disc, soundtrack disc, a mini-poster, and — check this — a Shadowrun Returns USB Dog Tag set, containing DRM-free versions of the game (PC/Mac/Linux) and soundtrack (and maybe one or two other surprises, too).

Shadowrun Returns USB Dog Tag

Okay, that’s it for now. Check our FAQ, BTW. We just added some new stuff for you. As we get closer to the $1M mark (seriously?), we’re already hearing people asking us what’s next. We’ll talk about that in our next video update.

21 Responses to “Update #5: Wherein Our Heroes Learn of a New Reward”

1. paul
    April 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

CONCERNING UPDATE 6 (which has no blog entry at the time of me posting this)

Whoa, what the hell?

Before I say anything I want you to know that I loved playing Shadowrun for SNES as a kid and I read a few of the novels. I really like Shadowrun and I am extremely happy that there’s a new game coming out. I wish you guys all the best and much success with it.

That being said, this is the second time I’ve been really, really disappointed with how this kickstarter is being handled. I understand you are under stress with your other project but maybe you should’ve waited till after before setting off the kickstarter to be able to give it more attention and thought. I was terrified with the Linux debacle, the mood got so foul in the comments I was really worried it was hurting the rise of the pledge count. The whole thing could’ve been prevented by giving a better explanation right from the start and when the outrage was pouring in, you could’ve responded a lot faster.

And now this. I’m shocked. First of all, why is there still no forum for the backers? Why is there no poll for the second city and why were all the people ignored who said they’d rather have the first city made bigger? If there would have been a poll I would have hoped you would have included that option.

More importantly an extra mission?… for $500.000?… that’s got to be the priciest preorder DLC ever in the history of mankind. What where you guys thinking? I feel so misunderstood, I don’t think you get it. You got it all wrong guys. This is so sad.

We just want you to be able to make a great game. We don’t want “exclusive” content that people who’ll be late to the party won’t be able to play. I mean how mean is that? Why would you think this would make us happy? We’d have to be terrible people for that.

The idea to tie up the previous games is great, really, but make it available for everybody… and even though I really like the idea, I think it’s a pretty meager enticement for the next milestone… especially without any indication as to how big this mission would be.

This is another big blunder, I just hope you’ll fix this too, like the Linux situation. It makes me uncomfortable that this keeps happening though. I’ll write it up to stress but it is really unnerving for me as a fan.

And let’s be realistic here for a moment… the only ones you are really tempting with this exclusivity gimmick are pirates. That mission is going to get pirated. And that will be your fault because how else would somebody who didn’t pledge get to play the mission? This is just inviting the pirates by being unfair to your customers. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? ;_;

• Drizzt
      April 15, 2012 at 2:25 am #

I can assure you, that 500 k US-$ is not off the chart, especially when you consider they also want to add more characters, props, whatever for everyone. And then there might be like two thirds of that sum left for the DLC, considering, that your average dev should be paid somewhere between 50 k US-$and 80 k US-$ per month, that’s like three to five devs working for two months.
      Apart from that: what you pay for “normal” DLC (really a horrible concept, I liked the old “one big expansion pack” much better), amounts to way more than just 500 k US-$ (e.g. Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2 was priced at 800 BioWare Points, which – depending on your billing location – means somewhere between six and ten monetary units (e.g. 7 US-$). That means, that only some 71 k people (ok, lets say 75 k, because there are some costs for payment processing and such involved) would have had to buy LotS for EA/BioWare to make 500 k US-$.

Anyway: I agree with you, that this should be available to all. Show you’re an indie studio, do the things the big ones shudder to do, because it doesn’t seem to add up in a spreadsheet (simply because satisfaction and emotional binding can’t be expressed). If you want to give something special to backers do it in a way that is cool, but doesn’t mean any late joiners are left in the rain (e.g. a t-shirt, or some in-game prop, that doesn’t have a lot of gameplay impact but maybe looks cool or is otherwise fun (I’m thinking of weapons, armour (e.g. the Blood Dragon Armour you can get in many EA games, if you own Dragon Age: Origins is of this kind: it offers something but isn’t game-changing), tools, …)).

About community management: well, that can be pretty hard and small studios generally lack the money to hire somebody totally devoted to this. Hence my recommendation: don’t judge them on this solely, so far they’ve always come through for their fans in the end (e.g. adding Linux).

• April 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Hey guys, thanks for the continued feedback. Just to be clear about a few things: The additional mission is a ‘thank you’ reward if we hit the 1.5m stretch goal – we aren’t suggesting that the mission itself will cost $500,000 to develop. As Jordan said in the video, we intend to use additional funds past 1m to add more depth and richness to the game overall – characters, stories, locations, props, and so on.

We’re also aware that many of you don’t want the mission to be only for Backers. That’s cool, and we appreciate the way the community is supporting one another. We’ll be addressing it in our next video update, this week!

Regarding the 2nd city, we’re going to run a backers-only survey after our Kickstarter time period ends (4/28/2012). (Kickstarter doesn’t allow backer-only surveys before the funding period ends, and we want to be sure to keep the decision purely for backers.)

And to your comment about community management Drizzt – yeah, we’re a very small studio. : ) Thanks for the understanding.

• Drizzt
          April 17, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Will PayPal donors also get a vote? I sure hope so. (A simple web page you can reach with a one-time key would do the trick, adding up the numbers should be simple enough ;-) )

yw, it’s obvious that you’re a small studio from the videos (how many people did you manage to fit into that office anyway? *g*) and I can understand the amount of work a company requires to run.

2. Drizzt
    April 15, 2012 at 2:00 am #

Awesome.

Note: We’re aware that our new $125 “DELUXE BOX EDITION” reward tier is not currently available here via PayPal. We’re working on figuring out the right way to add that!

Wait, what? Just create two new buttons? Or what am I missing? Anyway, I trust you “figure out the right way” before 2012-04-29. ;-)

3. Alexi Remananov
    April 15, 2012 at 2:27 am #

Hey guys how come you havent arranged with paypal for an upgrade system as relates to donations yet like what inxile did for Wasteland 2 ?
    So people who gave already via paypal can upgrade to a new tier, for example people who already donated 15 dollars, only have to donate another 15 to hit the 30 dollar tier or people who donated 100 dollars only have to donate 25 to reach the new 125 dollar tier this option was also their (inxile’s) kickstarter setup too.

• Drizzt
      April 15, 2012 at 4:16 am #

AFAIK Paypal doesn’t offer any “increase the donation” functionality*. What you can do (and what inXile did) is to add another “product” or “donation” button to your account and page. This is a whole new transaction and incurs another fee cut for PayPal. Therefore I can understand, that HS is a little hesitant to add that option. Still, I see, that it would be nice to be able to reach a higher tier at a later time, in particular, when said tier was added after you donated.

* I’m not sure, whether this is due to some legal constraints: PayPal charges you immediately and the transaction is finished. An alteration of such a transaction might violate customer protection and banking laws in many jurisdictions (especially since PayPal has a banking license in many areas).

• OllieB
      April 15, 2012 at 5:41 am #

Yeah, thats one thing, I`m also curious about.
      I donated $115 via paypal, which (at that time(!)), was the reward, I found the best for me.
      And then – a few days later – they added the $125 reward, in which I would be really interested, but via paypal I only have the possibility to do a second donation – which would result in a total of $255 – and this is much too much for a game (be it with the goodies, or not), sorry.
      So, at the moment, this is a bit of a letdown for me.

I already emailed them about that issue, but received no answer so far. :-/

• April 16, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Ollie, thanks for your patience! We’ve added the option to upgrade your PayPal contribution via our PayPal page here: http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/paypal/

• OllieB
          April 17, 2012 at 11:10 am #

Hi Mike,
          thank you very much!

Upgraded my donation right away. :-)

• April 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Alexi, we’ve added the ability to upgrade your paypal contribution via our paypal page: http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/paypal/

4. Alexi Remananov
    April 16, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Ok i see the new button added mine for an upgraded tier.

5. Daniel King
    April 16, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Hey Mike,

Your response at 1:08 pm was fantastic, you guys really are listening to the fans, I’m sorry that many people seem to jump down your throats whatever you do!

Just to let you know, I’m a big Shadowrun fan and I really can’t wait, also I have UPPED my pledge! :-D

Keep up the good work!

• April 16, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Thanks Daniel, we appreciate the support!

6. cdoublejj
    April 17, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

WWWWHWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

are there STILL no forums, i swear to god i’m gonna find your guy’s company info on some sort of WA online company archive/list and call you and tell you, YOU NEED FORUMS for the Shadowrun project.

• SirRobin
      April 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

I would love to have a forum too but they can become a complete pain in the rear. Best chance would be a forum through some sort of fansite instead. Hmmm… That might not be such a bad idea actually.

7. cdoublejj
    April 19, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

it isn’t that hard wasteland 2 managed it. i asked them about it at most moderating got a little bit hard but, if needed they would just recruit more moderators.

• April 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

In our latest update on Kickstarter, Jordan discusses our plans for forums and community moving forward.

8. Luffarn
    April 24, 2012 at 7:35 am #

About the banners in update 5…
    Can we get one for google + aswell? 940px wide and 180px tall

9. The_mad_deprived
    April 28, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Better late then never but i missed this one comment here.

It’s over 9000!!!!

Okay that was evil of me but then again i never said i was not so it’s all okay and fair.
    My vote goes to Berlin since it is for the most part a Anarchy with a corporate conclave AFAIK.
    Runners work best in the shadows that the shadows completely took Berlin is a different story all together. ;)

10. April 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Excellent web site. Plenty of helpful info here. I’m sending it to several buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks to your effort!