What’s Happening and What’s Next?

Hi Everyone!

Now that the game is out, there’s a ton of cool stuff happening in the world of Shadowrun Returns - both here at our office and in the fantastic community that’s developed around the game. Read on for a full report on what’s been happening and what’s next.

The First Patch is Away!

Our dev team has been squashing bugs left and right, and we released a game update yesterday. On Steam, this update is applied automatically and you can see our release notes in the Announcement section of our Steam page. The updated DRM-free version is available on our HBS Account Site. Just login and download the game again. The release notes are also available on http://shadowrun-returns.wikispaces.com/Release+Notes and we’re looking to find a way for you to be able subscribe to that page so you can get automatic updates in your inbox.

And thanks to everyone who reported issues! We really appreciate the support. If you see something wrong be sure to follow the link below and tell us about it. http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/bug-reports/

What We’re Working on Now

After taking a deep breath, the team is back at work supporting the game and making sure we meet our commitments. Here’s where we are:

Ongoing Bugfixing, Balancing & Support

As you’ll see below, the team is busting on several fronts simultaneously, but we’re watching the forums and reviewing bug reports for important issues to fix. When we have a critical mass of fixes ready to go or we find something important that needs to be addressed ASAP, we’ll do an update and provide documentation as noted above.

Linux Release

We have started working on the Linux version of Shadowrun Returns this week. We have our build machine up and running and have started making test builds. It’s still unclear just how much more work is necessary, because the builds are pretty rough in spots. For example, we can create characters, but there are errors when loading into the first apartment scene. The editor is now compiling in Linux, but unfortunately crashes when trying to load scenes. We’re confident we can work through the various Linux-related issues, but it is going to take some time to wrangle them into submission.

Localization

We’re also actively pursuing localizations of the game so Shadowrun fans around the world can enjoy Shadowrun Returns. We’re extracting all the text in the game and sending it to our translators. Based on their estimates, and budgeting for unexpected issues (always plan for the unknown), we believe we’ll have Spanish, Italian, German, and French versions ready to play by early October.

Berlin

Development of Berlin art is already underway, and our design team is also starting to prototype gameplay and mission ideas for the Berlin campaign. We’re targeting late October for the release of Berlin. Here’s a peek at one of the locations we’re working on:

berlinScreen01

iOS and Android Tablets

While we wanted to get tablet versions of SRR out at the same time as the PC and Mac versions, our main priority was creating the best game possible on all platforms. To that end, we delayed the tablet release for a few weeks to make sure they meet our quality bar. We expect the remaining work on the tablet versions should only take a couple of weeks, but we don’t know how long it will take for the game to go through Apple certification so we can’t give you a specific release date yet. As a reminder, the tablet versions will not include the editor and will not contain access to community created content. We do plan to bundle the best community content and release it on tablets some time in the future.

Spotlight on Community Created Content

We’ve got to give a shout out to Opifer and his team of over 80 dedicated GMs (!) from around the globe over at http://shadowrunidentity.org/. You may recognize Opifer from the shadowrun.com forums or you may have seen his mission, “Life on a Limb”, up on the Steam workshop. Opifer and the rest of the SR Identity crew are hard at work creating a 100+ hour community created campaign based on published Shadowrun source material (novels, sourcebooks, etc.). Now, THAT’S some serious ambition! If you’re an aspiring writer or editor whiz, be sure to check out the site and contact Opifer if you’d like to get involved.

We’re committed to helping people learn to use our tools by providing tutorials, examples, and even sharing HBS best-practices for creating content in the Shadowrun Returns Editor. Here are some of the things we have to offer:

Shadowrun Returns Wiki

To start, we have created the Shadowrun Returns Wiki that can be found at http://shadowrun-returns.wikispaces.com. It’s a great resource for anyone playing the game but especially for GMs. Check out the Tutorials page where HBS and the Community are putting up new tutorials and helpful hints all the time.

This week, we added tutorials about:

• How you build a Matrix run
  • How to create custom NPCs (Video)
  • How to set up NPC teams and have characters change teams mid-scene
  • How to string multiple scenes together (Video)
  • How to set up your own props and best practices for using them

We’ve also posted several pieces of our internal Environment Art Guide to help you in creating your own environments. These wiki pages will help you paint your own props in Photoshop, setup new props in the Editor, and add lighting and visual effects to your levels.

Shadowrun Returns Editor Online Web Conference

Additionally, Producer Brian will be holding two public web conferences on September 7th at 9 AM and 9 PM PST for GMs who want to ask their burning questions about the editor. Space will be limited and registration is required so be sure to RSVP by clicking the link below. Fill out your information and we’ll contact you with more details. Shadowrun Returns Editor Web Conference Registration Form

Gencon Workshops

Finally, we were able to schedule two additional SR Game Mastering: Editor 101 workshops at Gencon on Thursday and Sunday. Mike Mulvihill and Producer Brian will be running all the workshops and Jordan and Mitch may stop by, as well.

Here are the workshop numbers to sign up for those: WKS 50790 and WKS 50791

Update on Backer Rewards

We’re also doing our very best to get our Backers’ physical rewards out the door ASAP!

If your order does not include a physical copy of the Shadowrun Returns Anthology, your rewards will begin shipping next week. (Huzzah!) If it does contain the printed version, however, we have some bad news. Our book publisher has, much to our dismay, pushed back our printing date (for the second time). So rewards that include the hardcover anthology won’t ship until the books are done. If you’re itching to read the Anthology, be sure to download the PDF available from the HBS account website. We’ll notify you as soon as the book is hot off the presses.

Now for the good news. If you remember, we wanted to put some extra goodies on our Dog Tags but due to timing concerns, we weren’t able to in time for manufacture and shipping. We did put them on the HBS Account Site for you, though!

The extra goodies come from our friends at Catalyst Game Labs, publishers of Shadowrun tabletop RPG:

• A copy of the Shadowrun Fifth Edition Quick-Start Rules
  • An excerpt from the Sixth World Almanac
  • An excerpt from the Shadowrun Novella: “Neat” – in epub and mobi formats

IMPORTANT: We’re going to do ONE FINAL download from the HBS Account website for people’s shipping addresses. Please go to this link and follow the directions to make any necessary changes to your information in your HBS Account by Sunday August 4th PST.

Whew – that was a lot of information! As always, if you have specific questions, the best way to get an answer is to email us at info@hbs-studios.com. We work hard to respond as fast as possible!

Have a great weekend!

HBS

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

81 Responses to “What’s Happening and What’s Next?”

1. Shadow
    August 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

The only thing I’m looking for in your patch changelogs is a fix for the silly save system that makes me replay half an hour if I have to quit the game because real life needs my attention.

I am very dissatisfied with the current solution and will not play the game again if this is not fixed.

I understand a gamedesign decision of not being able to always save and load (at least a little), but not saving on quitting the game is console-game-bullshit, that I don’t take from a PC game, especially not from an RPG.

• Run
      August 3, 2013 at 4:13 am #

It happens more on PC than on consoles so it’s really PC-game bullshit.

Nice to see you requested change politely rather than coming here to be a demanding, entitled dick.

2. Ron
    August 2, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Are you aware of a glitch that occurs when your main character fires their weapon and the animation occurs, but the actual shot isn’t fired for about 5-7 seconds? This started happening in the basement of the Universal Brotherhood. It didn’t happen with any of my runners though, just the main.

• Frank
      August 2, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

I am also having a problem with what Ron has been talking about. On my end it seems to be happening here and there during the whole adventure in itself. (Deadman’s Switch)

On a side note, I also am experiencing some delay when there is only 1 enemy left and the game idles for 5 to 10 seconds before the NPC acts
      (sometimes skipping the whole shooting or hitting animation with melee/range weapon)

It has been happening on Normal and Very Hard difficulties.

I’m not too fond of the current “save at the start of the mission” save system. As it was mentioned by Shadow, it’s not fun at all to restart from the beginning of the mission should you have to leave in the middle of a run. Something worth looking into.

Other than that, I’m loving all the work put in the game so far and looking forward to the Berlin campaign.

• subebx
        August 20, 2013 at 7:15 am #

I second that.. Got the same “idle” bug happen to me as well.

3. Dan H.
    August 2, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Shadow: You had an opportunity to provide some real constructive criticism here, but your tone is somewhat less than persuasive.

If someone came barking at me the way you did regarding a game I was developing and updating faithfully, I would cheerfully refund your money and invite you to do something rather rude to yourself, probably something scatalogical.

You’re talking to adults here. Nobody’s asking you to do anything more than be civil. Civility will get you a good deal further than you might imagine.

Looking forward to Berlin!

4. kevin S
    August 2, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

I just want to say thank you to every one at HBS for there hard work. i love the game, its like playing genesis except better graphics. the wallpapers are awesome, and i just cant get enough of the ST. i do however agree with shadow above, all be it in a much more civil way, i think the save game functions are lacking and would really like to see at least an out of combat save option.

TYVM
    kevin stone

5. Linda
    August 2, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Couldn’t agree more, Dan H. Thank you for saying something :-)

6. Randy
    August 2, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

Will there ever be Steam Achievements? Or at the least cards?

7. SgtFopper
    August 2, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

In short words:
    No Steam Achievements, no insta-buy – that’s all. ;)
    (Don’t take me serious but I’m serious with that!!!)

8. Jack
    August 2, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Glad to see the Linux port up there, I’m sure it’ll be out soon. Looking forward to picking it up when it’s playable in Steam for Linux.

9. Winter
    August 2, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Indeed, poor form, Shadow. These people worked hard to give us a great game, and a great resource for further Shadowrun gaming. If you choose not to play their game simply because you’re inconvenienced, then you’re missing out. And being more than a little immature and passive-aggressive in the mean time.
    As for the HBS team, I would like to thank you all for the time, effort, and care you put into Shadowrun Returns. I’ve played through the game once, and am already on my second go with another archetype. And I’ve also started working with the editor in hopes of bringing some of my table-top Shadowruns to the Steam community.
    Again, thank you. And I look forward to what is to come for Shadowrun Returns.

10. evilsidhe
    August 2, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Is there anything in the works for a multiplayer function? i don’t know how to quantify the amount of awesome (more so) that would make SSR!
    It’s still a killer game, and i look forward to whatever else comes out (even without any multiplayer function).

• Sergio
      August 3, 2013 at 6:56 am #

Probably way out of scope.

11. DarkCarnage
    August 2, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

Dear HBS team first of all tahnsk for teh great game, i am loving it, replaying it wiht diffrent job so i can see what i might like for berlin later in time^^

i can not wait to see waht else you add/update as time goes by. keep up teh godo work and i do my best to make sure no runner takes a stab at you servers :P

12. mastermage51
    August 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

HBS you guys ROCK! The game is such a wonderful throw back to not only the original games on the console’s I grew up with, but a magnificant modernization of top down games like the great’s Baldur’s Gate or Icewind Dale.
    I do agree whole hartedly with the notion of a different save system. Even if it’s just a save and queit mode. It’s hard when you absolutely have to leave it, even if you’re in the middle of a battle. Real life does come up.
    Another thought is regarding the animations for magic. I was wondering if with Berlin you would be including an updated animation for the magic? It doesn’t feel any different when you use flamethrower or lightning bolt.
    Keep up the great work!

13. Nurke
    August 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

The game is great, the save function is a pain if you have to exit before a savepoint but that doesnt detract from the playability of the game. Thanks for reawakening my memories of P&P Shadowrun and I look forward to Berlin :)

14. Paul
    August 2, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

I love the game so far, but I’m inclined to agree with a lot of people in that the save system is silly. You’ve created a game that harkens back to the old infinity engine games, but is hamstrung by a modern autosave. Obviously the code is there to allow saving, so why not allow us, the players, to save when we want? Autosaving at the beginning of a mission is convenient if I forget to save myself, but I don’t even have that option. If I don’t have time to finish a fight, or exploring an area, I’m doomed to repeat it.

I love the game and I’m thoroughly impressed by the quality work that everyone at Harebrained schemes has accomplished.
    But PLEASE patch in a proper save system!

• Sergio
      August 3, 2013 at 6:58 am #

Couldn’t agree more.

15. Blendwerk
    August 2, 2013 at 11:16 pm #

Berlin!!!

But we need an Astralplane! And more Critters! And more Cyberware slots! And more tutorials!

Kind regards,
    a GM

16. Farnball
    August 2, 2013 at 11:19 pm #

Guys, I want to congratulate you on your game delivered. Excellent writing, interesting artwork that did justice to Shadowrun universe, great combat. Now for what I hope will be points to correct in the long future of this game…1st is the engine, I know you want to spread this game to as many platforms possible but t think the graphics diminish the artists effort. I would really love some serious effort to be put on this part of the game. 2nd is the exploration, I was absolutely let down by the fact that the gameplay was so streamlined that you couldn’t go inside a random building and eg. loot or talk to its residents. Please more interactive environments in the future and if possible outline the interactive items with a colored line. 3rd is the little number of the side quests to keep you busy through the main story. Perhaps you could put sth that would generate random scenarios for your shadowrunner to play (?)
    Thnx again for making your backers proud and delivering what I hope is the first in a long line of campaigns!

17. ワーーー
    August 3, 2013 at 12:56 am #

“Black IC is now less lethal.”

Whaaaat, lame! :D

Seriously though, thanks for the game HBS! I had a lot of fun with the campaign, it’s a refreshing change to see such a well-written rpg today, and while I haven’t yet played that many UGC runs, I have high hopes for them as well.

Also, can’t wait to get my backer rewards!

18. Nick
    August 3, 2013 at 1:43 am #

Love the game, great story well written and didn’t mind the save game thing to be fair, any long missions auto saved when you enter a new area anyway plus restarting before I spend my karma points is useful if I die because I should have put them in another stat. Only two things I noticed wrong with the game.
    1) I did a mission solo as I’d spent all my money on sweets and things and as it turns out if you hit an enemy then have him follow you (or kite him) they eventually vanish from the map, only did it on the side mission with the basilisks so not sure if’s it’s confined to that level.
    2)Line of sight, many a time I’ve had what I’d consider a good line of sight on someone only to be told that I didn’t and other times I’ve shot through things I really shouldn’t be able to see the other side of, just needs a little refinement is all.
    Great job though and can’t wait for Berlin and to see what the community brings out.

19. Bugman
    August 3, 2013 at 1:49 am #

While I don’t agree at all with Shadow’s rude tone, I do agree that the current save set-up really does need to be changed.

20. JRK
    August 3, 2013 at 2:23 am #

Greetings HBS,

by creating SRR i think you have done a wonderful thing. Love it so far. The community effort is awesome. A few remarks though:

- more frequent saves would be nice
    - Please try to make the next campaign less linear. It would be really cool if you could implement some kind of city map where you can choose the location you want to go. Revisitable scenes would be nice.
    - Concerning revisitable scenes (like in some UGC): It would be awesome if you could manage to cut down on loading times and if you did’nt have to confirm scene change. Right now you have to confirm up to two times (one to confirm transit, one at the end of the loading screen).
    - Cyberware seems a little underpowered to me. Playing DMS as a Gunner i noticed it’s more efficient to pick up some magic instead of cyber. Especially because of Haste. Wired Reflexes should give AP.
    - It would be nice if one could cast spells (healing), reload, etc. outside of combat mode
    - In DMS it is a bit annoying combat mode is still active after all enemies are down. Especially when you want to move to the next scene and have to do it one runner at a time.

Keep up the great work, HBS.

• Remmus
      August 3, 2013 at 4:41 am #

actually JRK two of your complains are resolved already and you must have missed them at the time of your comment

* characters reload there guns by default after combat and thus always enter a new fight with fully loaded guns, if there had been instances when they havent you have sadly encountered a bug

* you can at least cast heal (and possibly other spells, dont remember) outside of combat, simply go to the inventory screen, select the team member with the spell, click the spell and in the little description there should be a “activate” button, just click and select who to heal.

21. OverWind
    August 3, 2013 at 6:33 am #

Thanks again for a nice game. I do however hope you will show the editor lots of developing love in the future. The editor is set up to be really easy to use, but right now I can’t test any scenes except publish locally (and that’s very tedious).
    Also, less importantly, when you’ve disabled music (which I do when I test) it keeps going to 100% again and again.

I hope you’ll also add possibility for custom sounds in the future, I know you’ve expressed that it might not be possible in Unity, but I see no reason why, when Unity do support playing custom files from the HD.

Keep up the good work :)

22. Wojtek
    August 3, 2013 at 6:46 am #

I never found the savegame mechanism to be an issue.

However, there’s something else I’d like to complain about, that I’ve never seen anyone else to mention, so maybe I’m just weird.

The problem is that as far as I see, if you have a hired decker, the game still checks the main character’s decking skill when you’re interacting with the computer via the conversation mode.
    That’s even if you are in combat mode and used the decker character to interact with the computer!

Frustrated me quite a bit during that side-mission in DMS where you’re supposed to kidnap a scientist fro Renraku lab.

As is, a hired decker seems to be much less useful than having your main be a decker. In my opinion, that shouldn’t be the case.

And yeah, the campaign besides that feels both quite easy and quite linear – but I have hopes for both Berlin and community content to be better in that regard. :)

23. ChummerX
    August 3, 2013 at 7:17 am #

Nice game! Though I think its very sad that there was no geman localisation when the game was released. I think most of the money (beside the US-contributors) came from us gamers in Germany. Nevertheless: Love the game!

24. Eric
    August 3, 2013 at 8:24 am #

Back in SNES, you had to go back to bed to save…
    I don’t know how it worked in the Genesis game.
    Autosave? No problem for me.

That said, most people are used to being able to save all the time so suddenly not having it is annoying to them.
    I enjoy the game as it is but a save feature is fair and I sure wouldn’t complain if it was implemented.I mean, it wouldn’t hurt anyone and would make many happy.
    So, I’m hrowing in my support.

Save feature, please.

What I really wanted is a multiplayer and DM-able play like NWN (the only other game I know with a campaign editor) but now that I played, I’m not sure it would really be do-able… :/

25. Eric
    August 3, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Oh, also I agree 100% with Wojtek.

The game really should check for hired Decker.
    That Renraku door! >.<
    My next playthrough will be with a Decker just for that… (Don't tell me it gives replay value though.. the fact remains I had a perfectly able Decker with me who could have done it for me, but the game failed to recognize this).

26. Veda
    August 3, 2013 at 10:20 am #

Wojtek is a familiar name are you on the Natami forum?

Nevermind doesn’t really matter.

• Wojtek
      August 3, 2013 at 11:28 am #

Nope. Had no idea what Natami is until now.
      (Googled it, and if you refer to the Amiga successor – epically cool thing, thanks for mentioning it!)

It’s my real name, though, and I’d dare guessing it is for the person you know from there too. :)

Regards!

27. Andrew K
    August 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

i keep seeing everyone talking about the save problem but if its such a problem why cant u just leave the game on tell u can come back to it & finish the lvl tell it auto saves?? makes more sense then wasting time commenting & or bitching :) but easyer said then done i guess.

• novoc41n3
      August 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

no, actually it makes more sense to make a “save and quit” option.

28. Elddric
    August 3, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

HBS. I have enjoyed SRR so far. I’m an extremely mobile person and would like to request that the save system of at least the DRM version become mobile aware. I would like to carry my game on a thumb drive and have the saves move with me. I’ve looked for help with this on the forums and have found nothing so far.

Please make the save area a variable that is accessible from in game.Create a save game location in the configuration menu. Also make it relative from the SRR directory. if there are game saves in the save directory within the game folder (..\shadowrun returns\saves) they should be accessible to be used along side the ones you have in the windows profiles of the user(c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Harebrained Schemes\Shadowrun Returns\Saves)

Thats really my only issue right now. Besides that I’m lovin it.

29. Abbielle
    August 3, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

The tilesets for Berlin look lovely! Keep up the good work!

I’m so deliriously happy with SR that I have trouble conveying it. Thank you all so much for this game, and for all the love you put into it. It shows. It really does.

30. Shadow
    August 3, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Neither do I consider nor did I intend content or tone of my post to be rude. I apologize if anyones feelings are hurt. Your negative reactions towards my comment honestly surprise me. But then again, I always played low charisma street-samurais back in the P&P days ;). And I am quite frustrated…

I don’t think criticism towards what I consider a usability feature and not a creative decision should be taken personally. Nowhere did I say a negative thing about any other aspect of the game or HBS’s work, nor do I want my money back. I gladly preordered 2 copies of the game on kickstarter and gifted one to a friend. I don’t regret my purchase at all.

I simply stated that I can not deal with the current system and that it greatly clashes with my expectations of a PC RPG. And I see from comments by other people that I am not the only one having a hard time with this, although it seems other people have less problems with it.

I’m glad the game got made, but I would be even happier if the save system was less frustrating.

I’m not even making assumptions of this being an easy to implement feature. Quite to the contrary there probably are good technical reasons why this has not been implemented yet (or else we wouldn’t have this discussion). I just challenge the assumption that the resources needed to implement this feature are better invested somewhere else.

Enjoy your weekend and your runs everyone!

31. Creston
    August 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

I can live with the save issue, though having the power cut out about 3 minutes before I was done with the Matrix run in James Telestrian’s office REALLY made me froth at the mouth… (I imagine the “no saving” thing is also what’s preventing the campaign from being more open ended and is the prime reason it’s so linear.)

Please make Berlin more meaty. Longer, more difficult, more items, more spells. You can run through DMS in around 7-8 hours, which is just way too short for something that calls itself an RPG.

That said, I did really enjoy it. Riggers are awesome, I love the Matrix implementation, the mood is perfect Shadowrun and the story was good, if way too short.

My really biggest gripe is how terribly underpowered magic is, however. The best mage character in your game is the one who does nothing but buff his street sam fellow runners

In 2nd edition, a mage was death to a street sam. In this game, an enemy mage is someone you just ignore until you’ve killed everything else, since he doesn’t do much anyway. This isn’t Shadowrun magic. Magic in Shadowrun was uber uber deadly. Why has it turned into this Hugs&Cuddles nonsense? :(

32. Cùran
    August 4, 2013 at 2:21 am #

First of all: I liked the game, I had a lot of fun with it and it came out approximately as I expected it to be, when I backed the game for a physical rewards package way back during the crowd funding campaign. Please keep this in mind, when you read my criticism/wishes for improvement.

Not being able to save (outside combat) is really bad IMHO. If I have a limited amount of time to play, chances are good, I can’t play SRR, because I’m very likely ending up with some part I would have to play again.
    Open world: I would have liked a more open world I can explorer. Maybe even with some (pseudo) random encounters here and there. The game was a bit too linear for my taste.
    Side quests: apart from one side quest, there weren’t really that many I’d call a quest. I mean: helping the merchant against the thugs is nice, but not a quest. I had hoped for some more, maybe even one or two with impact on the main quest.
    Decisions with impact: sadly completely absent. Yes, you can choose your path in a particular instance, like using your Charisma or Etiquette to get past somebody or ferret some information out of them. But it doesn’t really matter if you do, because the end result is always the same. This is probably the hardest to do, since it means writing multiple stories with ever more branches and relations. (Even AAA titles with this feature being promised don’t get it right (Mass Effect, anybody?)). But a lighter version like: you can be nice to that kid on the corner and help him, if you do, he can help you out later. Or: you spared the life of the punk guarding the warehouse for that other runner group, then he’ll try to whack you with some buddies, because you humiliated him earlier. (Again, this would be the light version without any impact on the major story line, that would have been nice, but relatively easy to pull off.)
    Tactical combat: the combat usually works, and your options are – again – usually nice, like summoning that spirit out of that puddle, or having the Decker take over that turret. Still, I feel like it could have used some more depth, closer to a Jagged Alliance 2. On the other hand: combat in bigger (budget-wise) RPGs isn’t exactly tactical either. Ah, well.

I hope Berlin and other updates can add the depth that was – for me – lacking. Still, I knew from the beginning, that this was a small team with limited resources, so I wasn’t exactly shocked or too surprised when I saw the result. As I wrote at the beginning: I pretty much got, what I’ve expected. Still, it’d be awesome if we could get SRR closer to the classics like Baldur’s Gate.

Anyway: for me, SRR was a solid game, just lacking a bit in the “awesomeness department”. But since this wasn’t a Triple-A title with a matching budget, I don’t see how this might have been possible. So, only the smaller things (saving, some more side quests, a bit more open/less linear) would have been great.

Keep those updates coming, have fun and keep the Linux version coming. ;-)

33. Raphe
    August 4, 2013 at 5:41 am #

greetz from germany.

Well there are many issues with the patches you guys made, first of all, why do they all have to be THAT big? and second, there have been problems with the gameplay that got worse with each patch :/ maybe you guys can look into that and bring back some stability to the game with the next one? Because i really liked playing it first times and then the patch-war started -.-

34. Smoke
    August 4, 2013 at 6:02 am #

All good.

Just two things that has to happen from my point of view:

- Find a way for modders to add custom music into the game. If it’s a Unity engine complication, get the Unity guys to fix it or re-think the way you’re including the assets. Whatever it takes!

- If you want to stay anti quicksave/quickload. Just make it possible to “quit and save”. Having to leave the game running when real life calls just to avoid replaying a bunch of stuff is just unacceptable.

35. KILLTHIS
    August 4, 2013 at 6:22 am #

Awesome! Can’t wait to see the Berlin-Campaign set up and running. Seattle was already pretty cool, so I can’t wait to see it.
    Aside from that I’d be curious about what the editor may be capable of in the future. We could surely use a feature or two.

36. Soranar
    August 4, 2013 at 9:40 am #

First of all, great game guys.

The graphics, the gameplay, everything in it works very well for me. Some people complain about the lack of voice actors but, considering how expensive voice actors are and how reasonable your price tag is, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to rely on text alone.

some minor suggestions for a later update (none of this is urgent or prevents playing):

-make it possible to equip the same weapon/drone more than once. It’s a minor annoyance but it prevents some interesting options gameplay wise

-like the others, I find offensive spellcasting is quite weak when compared to other modes of attack (regular guns or drones). Also I sometimes get a chance to hit an opponent with a gun yet I get no line of sight with spells, I’m assuming that’s a bug.

-I think the to hit percentage estimate might be inaccurate or the random number generator might just be quite strange. Very unlikely events (13 misses in a row with 70%+ chance to hit for example) are quite common and frustrating when the enemy never seems to miss.

Otherwise I love this game.

37. Jarmitage
    August 4, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Although Shadow’s really bratty about it, I agree that the save system is disappointing. I don’t always have long stretches of time, and drop-in drop-out gaming is key for me. Also, I’m just used to this in RPG games. Could you at least increase the frequency of the auto saves? Thanks for bringing Shadowrun back, HBS!

38. Sho
    August 4, 2013 at 11:40 am #

I’m about six hours into the game now and having a total blast. I’m really looking forward to the Berlin campaign, too, having lived in the city for almost three decades now. I used to request a visit to the Naturkundemuseum on every birthday as a young child, nice take on it in the screenshot, though you should use the iconic Giraffatitan/Brachiosaurus skeleton instead! (Although I understand the challenge in fitting a two-story high dinosaur into the tileset …)

39. Michael
    August 5, 2013 at 12:56 am #

You should add a section for all the Shadowrun Mods here.

40. Jose
    August 5, 2013 at 1:56 am #

Good luck with the linux port!. I think Linux really needs more games like yours, indie but not two guys in a bedroom indie.
    I have noticed that since I moved to linux I am more eager to buy full price games instead of waiting for the steam sale.
    Also it is good for you, since linux is based on open technology, more freedom for you.

41. novo
    August 5, 2013 at 6:47 am #

i think about now i’m more disappointing with people who are fine with playing a tablet game on a pc than with the developers… this game is such a disappointment, i’m just playing arcanum again to get over it :(
    you know, sneaking, lockpicking, (mini)map, looting, SAVING when i want… don’t give us tablet games and tell us it’s a PC game! people, open your eyes, nostalgia has blinded you :(

• Michael Chandra
      August 5, 2013 at 7:02 am #

No it hasn’t. What I got was, to me, perfectly fine for a $20 game with editor and a 1.2m budget. I just hope they now have a much bigger budget to make the future expansions so much more. :)

Don’t regret pledging $175 to help this happen. :)

• novoc41n3
        August 5, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

1.8m
        well, i’m not complaining about the money; i got at least 30hrs gameplay, so that’s not a problem. problem is the wasted potential, imho. like i said, it’s a tablet game you can play on the PC. it’s not up to cRPG standards, not even for an indie game.
        if you’re really fine with not being able to put two of the same drones in your inventory, or not being able to access your team inventory other than at the beginning of the mission, or any other of the multitude of simplification that have been made to accommodate tablet gaming, well, i don’t think there’s much we can talk about.

42. T2-Keks
    August 5, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

Hi HBS,

first of all thank you for this game and the editor! The mood in this game is awesome, the story was like a SR movie and i just love the style in wich the texts are written.

The editor is much fun and it is great that you maintain a wiki for the game and put out tutorials on youtube and stuff.

Really looking forward for DLCs.

Is there any chance of having Giant Rats and props for a sewer in one of them? :)

43. Rafael
    August 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

Uhuuu!!! Thanks. I’m wating for Linux version. :D

44. Manuel
    August 5, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

I totally agree with Curan. My main concerns are:
    + not being able to save whenever I want; I’ve been delaying my play due to the time implicated to run through a whole level.
    + not being able to explore the City, go back and forth to different maps, or to an specific location (a gun-shop for example) by free will, as the SNES game allowed you to do.
    + Less linear; the choices you make on dialoge won’t affect the end results.

Another question, if I download the game again, would I lose my current advance?

45. JCfromNC
    August 5, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

In the Renraku lab: IIRC, the skill required to download the research data is Decking 6, while all the hired deckers top out at Decking 5. So even if the game is checking the hired decker, he’s still not good enough.

Saves: I would very much like to save at will, but not being able to do so _does_ make skill/stat/conversation choices much more fraught. Being able to save before starting a conversation makes correcting for an undesirable outcome trivial. Asking yourself, “Do I really want to replay this entire firefight just to _maybe_ get a different outcome in the conversation?” makes your choices a little harder.

46. FastZ
    August 6, 2013 at 12:01 am #

I like the game so much! i dont care about the save game which is annoying if you have to play a whole part again but on the other hand it gives you some sort of a stronger feeling when you achieve it. great game. 9/10. thank you very much

47. Dopefish
    August 6, 2013 at 12:41 am #

[Bug] Drone movement sound looping
    - If a drone is destroyed by overwatch while it was moving, the drone movement sound will be looping until a scene is changed.

48. Kln
    August 6, 2013 at 12:54 am #

Thanks. I’m excited to see the Linux version.

49. Christian
    August 6, 2013 at 1:48 am #

Will the Android version be out sooner than the iOS one then or will you artificially delay it until the slow guys at Apple will have convinced themselves that this game maintains our freedom from porn?

50. John
    August 6, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Guys, seriously, Linux. I was excited when I saw the game description. Since I ditched Windows from my hdd I was disappointed I have to steal the laptop from my gf. Fill a niche, there is a good market with Linux gamers eager to throw money at good game devs.

51. Eyespye
    August 6, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

Checking in from Malaysia :-)

Been waiting for this game since it was announced and I. Am. Loving it! The lack of a save anytime feature is a pain, but one I can live with at the moment – waiting for a patch to change this! But just want to let you guys over at harebrained know you got at least one fan in South East Asia loving the dedication, time and effort you guys took to bringing this game to life. Just brings back so many awesome memories!

52. Trayjin
    August 6, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Just wanted to say i love the game guys and thanks for all your hard work in bringing it to life. Especially the editor. I foresee may many UGC’s in the future and that is really awesome. It’s a shame ther is no multiplayer for a group of friends to play through as that is the best way to play pnp rpg’s is with a group of your closest fiends. I think a multiplayer option could have been something truly special. One other thing that I wanted to mention is how underwhelming magic is in the game. I have always been an offensive magic user in pnp rpg’s and SR is no different but i find the magic just doesnt have the power or the presence it deserves versus the actual weapons in the game. Its only good as a support character at best. I really dont wanna lvl a toon up to support hired mercs. I had to reroll a SS/Rigger which was alot more powerful. The save issue can be worked around (it really shouldnt have to be ) so im of two minds on that one so other then what i have mentioned im extremely happy with the game and i look forward to future content. Thank you again!

53. Gulandro
    August 7, 2013 at 3:18 am #

I would really like a box edition of the game in the future with all the possible downloadable contants, chosen ugc packs and such after the release of the Berlin saga. I really fear that my character from the Seattle story won’t make it to Europe because inbetween patches, dlc packages and such. Please keep it as simple as possible in the future for non steam users as well.

54. whiteout38
    August 7, 2013 at 6:16 am #

I am and always have been a Shadowrun fan from the beginning and i want to say, for the circumstances the game was made under, very good job on SRR. I love the look and the feel is like the originals, but with a bit of a modern twist and the story is good. I do have some of the same issues as alot of other fans do though. A combination of the save problem and not having many side missions to gain some extra nuyen is frustrating. The combination of that had me in a situation where i had no nuyen to hire a runner team for a mission and no way to make nuyen to do it. Looting bodies, random encounters and a more open interactive world like the original Shadowruns on genesis and SNES would have fixed this problem. I am now in a possition where i have to go way back and play through 3 missions or more to not make the same mistake. There does’nt seem to be much to separate classes, seems to me the above said by others, on the magic strength and other classes, has me just running around blasting everyone with a shotgun. Seems most effective. The fact that I seem to miss alot with any weapon does’nt sit well with me either, even when I am at very close range, especially when the npcs don’t seem to miss near as much as i do. Other then these issues iv’e stated. I love the game and congradulate you on a job well done and am looking forward to see what the future holds for SRR. Thank you for bringing back one of my favorite loved games from my childhood. Keep up the good work guys.

55. John K
    August 7, 2013 at 8:56 am #

Is the shipping info supposed to still say pending for the updated stuff and awaiting customer input for other things? I have tried several times to reput in my shipping info and the page has no changed at all so it has had me a little worried at the moment

56. Robin
    August 7, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Just want to pop in and say thanks for the constructive feedback to everyone.

John K – Yes, shipping is still supposed to say pending. Not to worry.

57. Norris H. Chandler
    August 7, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

We know that Kickstarter can be a great tool to fund smaller titles like Kentucky Route Zero , but there have been no examples of great crowdfunded games built by bigger teams on a bigger budget; that is, until now. Today marks the launch of Shadowrun Returns on Windows and Mac, a role-playing game from Harebrained Schemes that managed to exceed its initial funding goal by 459 percent last April. So what does $1.8 million buy you on Kickstarter? In the case of Shadowrun Returns, a damn fine old-school RPG.

58. Anarchknight
    August 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Hi there! First, I am a big Shadowrun fan. I remember playing the tabletop game and the Sega videogame. I’m very happy to see the spirit of Shadowrun Returns is representing its roots well.

I know a lot of people are unhappy (from reading posts here) about the save feature. I don’t think its as terrible as people think it is. For example, I just recently replayed the original Legend of Zelda where you can save at anytime, but not where you were and you have to cross half a billion monsters and dungeons to get back anywhere. I remember when save features in many games (PC and console) was not always a given. I think that many players have gotten kind of spoiled on being able to save their progress at any point in time and just constantly rewind whenever they wish it (Prince of Persia: Sands of Time style, if you will).

There were moments I did wish I could have saved right before doing something (like dialogue choices) just because that way I could have explored my options. However, I think the lack of instant saves adds a fair degree of difficulty and makes the choices and tactics much more valuable. I do understand that people have very busy lives and are constantly interrupted (military/law-enforcement/EMT/parenting for instance). However I don’t think the saves are that few and far between. The players just need to adjust for their playtime accordingly.

I will agree that I was hoping for more open world or at least more side quests. It’d be nice if I could talk to a Fixxer and get a list of available dirty deeds that need doing so I can have some selection in my progression. I don’t like the Matrix? I can skip Decker/Hacker related jobs. I want a stealthier infiltration mission instead of a straight up gunfight? I can pick my jobs more selectively. I want to go rumble with the gangs and take a run at increasing/decreasing the turf of one or the other? Up to me. I’d like more options so I can enjoy the freedom that running in the shadows is all about. I understood DMS to be a straightforward avenging angel campaign so I didn’t mind it much. I’d just like future campaigns with my preferences in mind.

I enjoyes the Matrix sections of the game because it showed how multi-tiered a Shadowrun can be. However, I would like to see the following if possible:

Matrix: I’d really like for there to be more than one jackpoint for missions that involve hacking. While the mission in which you rescue Marie-Louise offered that option (although the stupid venom bugs kind had me keep all hands on deck), the later raid on Telestrian did not. I brought multiple deckers to support each other on a mission that specifically required a decker only to have one sit out and provide covering fore because he wasn’t able to join the online party.

Astral Projection: If you can offer the Matrix, you can offer the Mages and Shamans a mini-game of their own by being able to deal with spirits on their own turf or being able to scout ahead for trouble using one of their signature abilities.

Vehicles: One of my favorite character builds has always been the vehicle decker. Now, I am not saying to include vehicles as a normal part of combat, but there is definitely a way to include a “speedy getaway” segment to Shadowrun Returns. Giving the option to include vehicle combat arrival/escape segments would add to the thrill of completing a successful run by evading the arriving police or having a drive-by shoot out with a motorcycle gang because the route you chose to approach your target belongs to them. I know this is probably farther out there than some of the requests you’ve gotten, but my request is to please look into it.

Aside from suffering the “attack and delayed for 5-7 seconds” in the UB area, I had no issues playing the game. I enjoyed the tone and feel of the game and felt the visuals were spot on. I’ve seen a few comparisons to Baldur’s Gate and I will admit feeling nostalgic, in good ways. All in all, I am very happy by the product and look forward to further adventures in Shadowrun Returns.

59. thequicksai
    August 7, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

Nice work and thanks for all the bug fixes! Keep it up!

I also really like how Hairbrained went for quality over a rushed release. That’s getting rare so as a gamer, customer, shadowrun enthusiast and as a person, thank you.

• thequicksai
      August 7, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

*Harebrained. Hah.

60. MarkV
    August 8, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

First up, well done HBS on the way you have created Shadowrun Returns. I am old enough to have played the original Shadowrun and I don’t mean any console version, I mean the REAL Shadowrun.
    The ideas in the original game, a team of ‘runners that get together to complete runs with the players balancing the needs of each mission have been thought out pretty well. The community will only grow and the quality of missions will get better as we learn how to use the excellent editor. I look forward to both campaigns and single runs.
    As for the save issue, I can understand why people are frustrated but it does not ruin the game and certainly does not provide anyone with a reason not to buy the game at all.
    All in all I love it and have already spent too long playing it I am sure and will probably still be playing it years to come. Really looking forward to Berlin the sample image looks lovely, very different from Seattle.
    Well done

61. A samurai
    August 8, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

Hi HBS team!
    Nice game! Looking forward Berlin!
    I would like to know where donwload the 1.03 (I don’t use steam)
    thanks for the game and keep it running

62. ThusIRefute
    August 9, 2013 at 1:27 am #

Great game, despite a couple of small quibbles. A very addictive flashback to the RPG. My onlqn is: who do I have to bribe to beta-test Berlin?

63. Robin
    August 9, 2013 at 11:40 am #

A Samurai

You just need to go back into your HBS account to download version 1.03.
    Cheers!

64. A samurai
    August 9, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

Thanks Robin! An awesome weekend awaits!
    Perhaps a Shaman-Gunslinger?

65. vonRies
    August 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

First, I love the game!

Second, The one bug I found was that the Datajack that you can buy at the beginning of the game cost 1 essence not 0.5 as listed, so if you want to buy the eyes near the end of the game for another 0.5 you end up loosing at least 1.5 essence or maybe 2 I didn’t try, since I was a magic user on my first play-through with the character.

Third, one suggestion I would offer is whenever you are trying to buy something the description is always cut off so you are often buying a pig-in-a -poke having no idea what all it can do for you. It would be nice if when you clicked on an item on the left side of the screen, the right hand side (that currently shows all the items you are buying) was replaced with the full description. Then when we are done with the details we could click a button to go back to the normal list of items we are buying.

Fourth, I love the game! My hat is also off to all of the people making user generated content.

66. ali
    August 13, 2013 at 12:57 am #

Thank you very much for a really enjoyable game. I wasnt really looking forward to Shadowrun Returns as i was really rooting for Shadowrun Online, and only bought this while waiting for the other one to come out. However this is really good game and i love the cartoon style graphics, and the matrix illustration is absolutely wonderful. I will definately be going for the Berlin campaign (we have to buy it again is that correct?)
    I agree that the save game needs being altered if possible please, as i screwed up using the 4 grand i was given for hiring the shadowrun team before storming the elf doctors surgery on equipment and now have to play the whole matrix run all over again including buying the programs.

67. Kotee
    August 13, 2013 at 8:49 am #

Great job everyone! Love the game!

68. jk
    August 15, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Thank you for the update! Totally looking forward to Berlin!

69. Bob
    August 16, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

“…we believe we’ll have Spanish, Italian, German, and French versions ready to play by early October”.

That’s cool, but when the principles not to translate the game into russian will disappear? HBS doesn’t choose from whom to take the money for game-dev, but for some reason there’s “no business opportunity” to support russian fans…

70. JarielCorvus
    August 19, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

Just finished playing through the Dead Man’s Switch campaign, and I have to say, I’m absolutely astonished at the level of work and detail that has been put in the game, expecially the ‘feel’ of Shadowrun itself. Really, you deserve my compliments for a work well done.

That being said, I’m looking forward to Berlin, but I’m looking forward to other things too, that I really, -really- think would do justice to the Sixth World.

-The save system: I have to agree, it’s a bit daunting from time to time. A Save option would be much appreciated.

-The Astral Plane: I know it might be hard to code/render this, but since you’ve made a good job with the Matrix, I’d really like to see even this face of the sixth world being done, as it plays a really big part on the whole setting of Shadowrun.

As for the rest, keep up the good work, I’ll keep up enjoying it :3 Have a nice day! :D