DRM’s End

Hey Everyone!

We just want to send out a quick update to share some good news. Thanks to a new agreement we were able to negotiate with our partners at Microsoft, Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce that we are now able to release fully DRM-free versions of Shadowrun Returns and future expansions such as Berlin.

The DRM-free versions of SRR and Berlin will continue to be fully supported. You’ll be able to download all game patches, use the Shadowrun Returns editor and experience user-generated content downloaded from third-party sites such as Nexus.

We’re starting work to get Shadowrun Returns available on GOG.com right now – not sure how long that will take but we’ll let you know as soon as we have an answer.

We’re very excited we’re finally able to offer Shadowrun DRM-free to everyone and look forward to making it available!

Take care,  HBS

25 Responses to “DRM’s End”

1. lalala
    November 12, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Thaaaank you, that’s great news!
    But please think of us, poor Linux players who would like to play your great game on Linux without DRM: could you sell the game on the Humble Store too?

Thanks again :)

2. Cùran
    November 12, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Awesome news! Will backer accounts be converted for updates? Or do they stay where they are.

• Robin
      November 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

At least for now, they’ll stay where they are. If that changes, we’ll let everyone know, of course.

• Banquo
        November 13, 2013 at 8:38 am #

Could you clarify this? I’m not sure what you mean by “they’ll stay where they are.”

Will the DRM-free version that backers got be compatible with future drm-free versions and expansions or not?

To be honest I can’t see how it would even be possible for them to NOT be compatible, given that the same UGC files can currently be used by both the steam and DRM-free versions, provided that the files are moved to the right places.

I guess I don’t understand the original question.

• RobinHBS
          November 13, 2013 at 10:48 am #

I think I misinterpreted the question. Sorry about that.

Yes, the DRM-free version that backers got will be compatible with future DRM-free version and expansions and will continue to updated.

• Cùran
            November 16, 2013 at 12:37 am #

If you’re referring to my question, then no: I was basically asking if updates to the DRM-free game would be handled through GOG for existing backers or if they had to keep checking their HBS account for new versions (btw: for Debian GNU/Linux users – that would also include all derivatives like Ubuntu – an APT repository would be awesome; automatic updates and handling of dependencies! If you need help with setting that up, feel free to contact me.). I would have understood, if you wanted to consolidate the DRM-free userbase in one place.

I never meant “won’t we get any updates anymore”. I really didn’t think that would happen.

3. Munly Leong
    November 12, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

Great news, I had some friends that didn’t go in on the initial because of Steam

4. Dev
    November 12, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

That is very good news. I may get it once it hits GOG, if the bugs I have been reading about are fixed.

5. Cadre Cola
    November 12, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

I second what lalala mentioned. As a Linux user, I would love a DRM-free Shadowrun Returns.

6. Guest1
    November 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Sorry for this question, but my english is not very good. What is this DRM in Shadowrun Returns and why is it good, that it is gone?

7. Babaganoosh13
    November 12, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

This is great!

Will those of us who pre-ordered and have accounts with you get the DRM-free copy available to us as well in with our downloads? A GOG key would be icing on the cake, but I’ll take whatever I can get, it would be great to be able to play it whenever I wanted to without worrying about Steam offline mode losing my login info again.

@Guest1
    DRM (digital rights management) Icomes in many forms. In some cases, it’s software in a program that makes you have to have the disc in the CD/DVD player in your computer if you are playing a disc-based game. It’s purpose is to try to stop software piracy.

In this case, we were required to play it on Steam. If you are not logged in to Steam (Online or in its Offline mode) you are not allowed to play it. The trouble is, Steam’s offline mode doesn’t work very well for a lot of people. I live in a rural area that doesn’t have affordable, reliable high-speed internet available. The trouble for me is, Steam’s offline mode doesn’t work after 2 weeks because it says it loses my login info. Therefore I haven’t been able to play it at home since the two weeks after I downloaded it. I got sick and tired lugging my PC into town to hook it up to the internet every 2 weeks just so I could play my games that I bought.

This is why a lot of us argue that basically all DRM really does is it punishes legitimate customers. One of the worst offenders is SecuRom, which has been known at times to kill video cards and DVD drives because you happened to put in some new hardware, so it thinks it is a new computer and you’ve stolen the game you’re trying to play.

Apparently Steam has fixed that 2 week bug, so I am about to find out as I’ve brought my computer back into town and am updating it as I speak. This is however great news. I will now be able to just throw the game on a flash drive, and take it home and install it there, assuming I don’t have access to a DRM-free copy until after I bring my computer back home.

8. Grindelwald
    November 13, 2013 at 1:52 am #

Sounds like a good opportunity to release it in the Humble Store as well.

9. tilly
    November 14, 2013 at 9:39 am #

Wow, this is great! :D An unexpected, delightful surprise ^_^

When the DRM-free versions are available, maybe consider a package sale for the core game and expansion pack? It’ll make it easier for people to switch over from the DRM Steam version that we’ve already bought. n.n

10. Sazia
    November 14, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Question: Is not it possible to implement the following feature: I’m downloading a new custom campaign on mac or pc and downloaded via itunes mod files into the game folder on my iPad???
    Нравится · Вчера, в 19:27

11. Agee
    November 14, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

GREAT news…I know people hesitating because of the Steam requirement!

And I second the “package sale” idea–in that case, I’ll buy the core game again, to get the DRM-free version.

12. terile
    November 15, 2013 at 5:15 am #

Great news – will be watching the gog store.

13. Brian
    November 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Will buy this game when its on GOG :o)

14. Steve
    November 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

This is good news, even if I’m a big fan of Steam.

15. catgurrl7
    November 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

Joy!!!! Been waiting for drm-free, will buy on GOG! Thanks!!!

16. November 16, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Appears browsing online above 3 time of late, still I personally certainly not discovered just about any fascinating report for instance your own property. It really is beautiful really worth sufficient in my opinion. Professionally, if many web owners and people created superb articles while you would, online is often much more very helpful than previously.

17. Mike
    November 18, 2013 at 3:05 am #

I definitely share the enthusiasm of fellow linux users above, and wonder – do negotiated DRM-free deal extends to this platform?

Understandably it’s probably much lower priority than GOG win/mac release, but I’d really appreciate if you guys could give a brief nod about what happens there in GOG version (or any other) follow-up on this.

And thanks a lot for caring about the whole DRM situation at all.

18. Kotty
    November 19, 2013 at 9:47 am #

Looking forward to it. Hopefully there will be linux version too.

19. Jimmy
    November 20, 2013 at 5:23 am #

Great!!! gog all the way!

20. Morghan
    November 20, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

Yay!

I can finally buy it!

Well, almost.

Now for someone to repeatedly kick the people responsible for the other two Steam exclusives I actually want until they follow your good example :)